Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Classmates.com: social NOTworking

Yes, I've ranted about Classmates.com before, but they just keep asking for it. Today, I received an e-mail from them with the following subject line:

Important announcement from Classmates, Anthony
Now, about the only "important" things Classmates could say at this point would be:

1. We've decided that our site is really lame and we're shutting it down, or

2. Hey! We've finally realized that in a Facebook world, no one is crazy enough to pay to read e-mails, see photos, or browse their friends' profiles. We're dumping user fees and going to an ad supported model.


But that wasn't their "important" news. Instead, here's what they had to tell me (emphasis and redness theirs):

Want to talk with people from Salem State College? Now you can! For a limited time, post your thoughts, opinions, and news on Classmates message boards—for free.
So, let me get this straight: I can, for a limited time, do something for free that I can do for free and for an unlimited time on just about every other social networking site?

No comments: