Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Customer service is really just a matter of good communication

Seth Godin posts about a mistake companies make all too often when customers complain:

Arguing with a customer who takes the time to write to you does two things: it keeps them from ever writing again and it costs you (at least) one customer. Perhaps that’s your goal. Just take a moment before you launch an unhappy former customer into the world.
And B.L. Ochman proves that every now and then, a company gets it right:

I called New Balance. I left messages on a few executive's voicemails, escalating my way up to the president. Lo and behold, he answered his own phone. Now that's pretty impressive in itself. But it gets better.

He listened to my story, said he was sorry I had that experience, and promised to call the store owner to tell them to exchange the shoes for me. When would he do that? Immediately.

I am impressed as hell so far.
What's the common denominator here? Good customer service is really just a matter of good communication. It's the right person saying the right thing at the right time. As simple as that is, it's amazing how infrequently it happens.

Bonus coverage: Yeah, I'm a New Balance fan. While means I'm also a giant cliche.

Photo: pennywise on stock.xchng

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will even pay more for good service, and I'm always trying to pinch my pennies. I want to reward people who care about what they do. I want to feel good about my purchase. I want a positive experience. I want to tell everyone to avoid Nextel, who had the nerve to screw up my account and significantly overcharge me twice, then argue with me about it. It was the arguing with me about it that put me over the edge. And then there are the people who pay attention, who get it right or fix it with a smile: The staff at Xsport, the girls at Lush, Carley at Aveda, MyPublisher.com, Restaurant.com, everyone at my dentist Dr. Emalfarb's office ... you all rock. I recommend these people and services all the time. Better to foster the love, right?